This week- just a day before Thanksgiving- I’ve been reminded of how ungrateful I am over so many things. It’s such a crazy thing because I’d normally consider myself a thankful person but I’ve been taking a good look into my heart and I’ve found some ugly parts that aren’t so beautiful.
Like being ungrateful that:
- we live in a tiny apartment with no space for anything
- I can’t fit into any jeans because I’m in the awkward stage of post pregnancy
- we are always paying bills and can’t seem to build our savings account how we want
- the weather is 80 degrees in late November
- I rarely have time for “me” because my toddler needs constant attention
Instead of being grateful that:
- we have a warm bed to sleep in, a roof over our head, and seminary life is for a season
- I just gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl
- God has given us the ability to make money and our needs are met above and beyond
- It’s not so cold that you can’t go outside
- I’m investing into the life of my child so he can make a difference in the world one day
It’s hard to be thankful when things aren’t always the way I hope they’d be. But supernaturally, God is able to help me choose gratitude and give me real joy– every day- not just when I’m gathered around the table for turkey once a year.
And that is what’s beautiful!
Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. – 1 Thes. 5:16-18